Re: docs chunking status

On 12 Apr 2002, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> > you wouldn't re-write gnome2-db2html, its a fine program for its purpose.
> > But as you want to keep the dtd, stylesheet and document around withour
> > reloading, the hundred lines of code that does this is probably best moved
> > into yelp, and then used for special uris directly.
>
> Well, this would mean that I would have to redesign the internals of
> Yelp quite much since I assumed that the gnome-vfs uri way was the
> correct way of going.
>
> I guess I can do that, it should then be done for the man and info stuff
> too. The bad thing about this is that we are then left with Yelp and it
> would be much harder for anyone to write another help browser in the
> future.

I'm not sure you need to do that - as we have complete control over the
output, including uri style. The previous html anchor based hrefs can
become say ghelp-local:/path/file?section instead of ordinary ghelp uri.
yelp merely needs to intercept that one type of uri - and to make it
generic for all possible help browsers, ghelp-local needs to be treated as
if the "-local" part wasn't there - all the rest of ghelp: can
(and probably should) continue working as it was previously.

> So, really, someone should make a patch that fixes gnome2-db2html and
> changes yelp (I can probably do that sometime at the cost of not being
> able to do other stuff that I want to do in Yelp).

There is no such fix possible unless you convert it to a daemon or
similar. as long as it is a separate process that just gets invoked for
uris you have the problem.

> Regards,
>   Mikael Hallendal
>
> --
> Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
> CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
> Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding