Re: docs chunking status

On 12 Apr 2002, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> fre 2002-04-12 klockan 12.43 skrev Sander Vesik:
> >
> > Ok, so after a crash dive into xslt and docbook stylesheet customisation:
> >
> > 	* I have a customisation that does it all - except for needing
> > 	  some amount of tweaking when it comes to prev/next links
>
> >From what I understand chunking has been working for a long time (at
> least gnome2-db2html have returned just the section asked for as long as
> I can remember).

It has *a* version of chunking - mine gives you just the toc if you call
it with teh file name and gives you the

	[previous]	[top]		[next]

relative links for the chunks - which is considerably more interesting
than just getting a piece and having to go back to the toc to go anywhere
else isn't any good.

> > 	* we need a change to the way gnome2-db2html does things
> > 	  internaly slightly
>
> s/slightly/pretty much/

no - this is a very small change. The "do things efficently" is a
differnet and larger change.

> > 	* yelp is presently making assumptions that need to change -
> > 	  Hallski doesn't like it because it will make things less
> > 	  efficent
>
> Yes, what I don't like is the fact that using chunking with the current
> implementation of gnome2-db2html makes the gain from caching the
> documents much less interesting.
>
> Yelp used to use the chunking-stuff so that only the section asked for
> was displayed. I changed this a while back since it was more-or-less
> unusable because of the speed at which you could view the documents.

Not having chunking makes larger help style things totally unusable. Try
say the user guide (or even just the nautlius user manual). Even much
shorter things like gedit is quite painful.

> > 	* The efficency problem largely comes from the fact that presently
> > 	  we are just executing and external program and then pulling the
> > 	  data back. The initial "make things faster" fix would be to have
> > 	  yelp intercept a special "we just want to repapply the stylesheet
> > 	  on the doc" uri so we don't continously reload docbook dtd and
> > 	  stylesheet.
>
> Before anyone rewrite gnome2-db2html to do some internal caching or
> comes up with a scheme that solves this I think that we need to rethink
> the usage of chunking, because at current it would be totally unusable.

you wouldn't re-write gnome2-db2html, its a fine program for its purpose.
But as you want to keep the dtd, stylesheet and document around withour
reloading, the hundred lines of code that does this is probably best moved
into yelp, and then used for special uris directly.

> Regards,
>   Mikael Hallendal
>
> --
> Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
> CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
> Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding