Re: suggestion for documentation

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:45:35PM -0600, Andrew Ziem wrote:
> My most elementry question, which is not answered in the 1.4 User's Guide is
> this:
>
> How do I start GNOME from the Linux text console?
>
> I am using Dragon Linux, and it does not boot a GUI.

Andy -

This is a helpful suggestion. Thanks.

It would be helpful if you could file this as a bug report in our
bugzilla:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Under "product" choose gnome-user-docs, and for component, choose
"general". (That way we can decide whether to put it in faq, user
guide or both.) By filing a bug report, it is less likely to fall
through the cracks.

The short answer:

In your .xinitrc file in your home directory, include the following as
the last line:

exec gnome-session

This starts GNOME. You may need to remove other commands currently in
there that start other window managers.

Then, at the command line, issue the command:

startx

Cheers,
--
John Fleck