Re: gnome-help: uris

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 11:37:22PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> I'm having a problem with gnome-help: and similar uris. I knew that
> those were being made available in the help browser for the user, but
> I didn't realize that they were being used as uris in ulinks within
> the docbook source. I need to figure out how to handle them.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers on how they are processed internally,
> or how I might deal with them?

At what level are you wanting to handle them? I'm sorry, but I've
forgotten what area of the help system you were working on, David (and
your mail from last week is on a machine I don't have access to right
now); could you give an example of where the problems are?

Inside a help-browser you would process a ghelp (or gnome-help) scheme
by calling gnome_help_display_uri(). Not sure what you do if there are
"info:" or "man:" schemes involved, since jrb's proposed API didn't
cover those.

Inside a "help server" that is designed to serve up HTML only pages, you
probably want to rewrite them all in the output to be HTTP (or whatever
protocol the help server speaks) references to the server. Then the
server just needs to know how to do the XXX-to-HTML transforms.

What other situations are there where you have to treat "gnome-help:" in
a non-opaque fashion?

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.