updating templates

Hi all:
I made a first pass at updating the templates. You can find them here:
HTML:
  http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~kirillov/templates/
DocBook XML
  http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~kirillov/templates/gnome-app-templates.xml

This is preliminary, so I am not yet putting it in CVS. Please send me
your comments/suggestions, so that I can incorporate them. Scroll down
to find the  list of things I need help with.

Here are the changes already made:

     1. Converted to Doc Book XML 4.1.2 (done by John Fleck)

     2. Tried to bring in conformance with Style Guide (not
      complete). In particular, replaced various <interface> tags by
      <guilabel>, "menu bar" by "menubar", etc.

     3. Commented out section Bugs (should be used only when there are
        bugs to report) and merged sections "Authors" and
        "License". This way, instead of 3 sections  Bugs, Authors,
        License, typical doc will only have one, Authors and License.

     4. Replaced all <graphics> tags by <mediaobject> and
       <inlinemediaobject>, with PNG, EPS, and text components.

     5. Added icons to description of toolbar buttons - IMHO, looks
        much nicer this way.

     6. Removed the last of emdash constructions in menu descriptions:

        Open---open a file
        Save---save to a file

        now looks like

        Open
          Open a  file
        Save
          Save to a file

        See below for more info.

      7. Added reference to (not yet written) section "Toolbars,
         menus, and other elements of graphical user interface"
        of User's Guide. This
        section will decribe non-obvious properties of GTK GUI,
        e.g. detachable menus, resizing panes, etc. I promise to write
        it.

      8. Minor changes all over.

Now to the things I haven't done yet and for which I need
your help:

     1. Is everyone happy with the way author names and legal info is
        presented (please note: copyright info will be probably put in a
separate html file linked to from the word COpyright, as it was
before - this is a stylesheet issue)? In particular, with
        merging  Authors and License
        into one section? And a related thing: do we really need all
        this junk about how to get GPL by writing to FSF? Wouldn't it
        be sufficient to give a link to ghelp:gpl and for those who
        can not read it, say that it is also included in LICENSE file
        in the package?
        Pat Costello and other SUN people argued for removing this
        section altogether; I'd rather leave it. What do other people
        think?

     2. I didn't yet add <indexterm>s which are important. The reason
        is, I need to know which of various <indexterm> attributes
        will be supported. E.g., DTD allows <indexterm>s like
        <indexterm zone="sectionid">...</indexterm>
        where "sectionid" is an id of existing section of the
        document. This should be used when the whole section is
        relevant for this term. Is this supported? Can anyone help me?

     3. I am not quite happy with the format of descriptions in nested
        lists, e.g.

        File
          This menu contains...
           Open
             Open a file ...
           Save
             Save a file
        Edit
          This menu....

        Currently, <itemizedlist> nested inside  <variablelist> is
        used. More logical would be using nested <variablelist>, but
        this is very cumbersome: xml source becomes almost
        unreadable. Another option would be using tables instead of
        inner list. Opinions?

     4. Finally, a minor point- just to satisfy my curiosity. I got
        the toolbar icons from gtk+/gtk/stock-icons (thanks jfleck!)
        but I realized that GNOME apps actually use slightly different
        icons (compare, e.g., "New" icon). Anyone knows which ones? I
        did a thorough search of my hard drive and couldn't find the
        icons used by, e.g., gnumeric or gedit....

Sasha