Re: GNOME User Guide - draft.

Hi Sasha,

I wrote a lot of the documentation that your comments relate to, so I'll
respond rather than Pat.

1. Can you tell me what the default shortcut key to close a window is? I
can't find it. I found the shortcut key to minimize a window: F17. On my
keyboard, this is the Open key, but I'm sure this varies from keyboard
to keyboard. How can we generically describe this key?

I will add Ctrl+N to 1.2.3.

2. I think it would bevery useful to have this information in the User
Guide. I have mentioned sorting a column and multiselection, but only in
reference to Nautilus. I didn't see multiselection in any other
application, so I presumed it was Nautilus-specific. I am not sure yet
where is the best location for this information, but I am sure that it
should be somewhere in the User Guide. Perhaps we could get the
information together and then decide on an appropriate location?

3a. Yes, we have had a lot of discussion around this topic.

The default configuration that I see is that the footprint icon opens
the Global Menu. If you install GNOME, then view the properties of the
footprint icon, the Menu type is Global Menu. I agree that this is
confusing.

I had a conversation with George Lebl about this in July, and he tells
me that the plan is to remove the ability to customize the Global Menu
(that is, to create a Main Menu) and to rename the present Global Menu
to Main Menu. When this happens, this information will be a lot more
clear.

3b. I'll add this information to Chapter 3.

4. Yes, I expect the GNOME Help Browser panel object to disappear. As
far as possible, we document what we see. The help browser object is in
GNOME 1.4, that's how come it stayed in the document.

5. I will investigate this some more and report it as a bug if
necessary.

6. It would be great if we could change this. There are also several
uses of iconify in the Control Center. What is the best way to get this
changed? To contact the developer or to report an enhancement?

7. I'll retake the screenshot. These items represent the desktop
background objects (Trash, home folder, and so on) created by gmc.

8. I am waiting until the updated version of the Help browser is
available before adding this information. We will also need to mention
the help browser in the Overview chapter.

9. That's that mystery solved. I'll have a look at it, and add a couple
of sentences on it to the User Guide. We probably only need to make a
brief reference to it.

10. I'll add that information to the Nautilus File Manager chapter.

11. What I mean by file type is a combination of the file extension and
description columns in the File Types and Programs capplet. I suppose
what I am really trying to say is "You can associate a file extension
with a MIME type". I'll try to clarify this in the text.

12. That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. I will add a
sentence to explain executable text files.

These comments are useful and much appreciated - keep them coming!
Eugene