Re: Title Page Suggestion

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Pat Costello wrote:

> Does anyone else have any opinions about this question?

I tend to agree in that I expect the user will start at the TOC and then
go to the sections of interest.  If they are concerned that the material
may be out of date, are curious who the authors are, or want to know who
to email with questions, then they may start looking for the section with
this sort of info. We need to make sure it is pretty easy to find.  If we
list the titlepage as "Title Page" in the TOC, I'm not sure whether users
will know to look there.  I generally would prefer a solution which kept
this info on the titlepage if it was easy for users to find though.

However, I can think of another reason for adding more info to the TOC
page.  One of the top reasons people contribute to free software projects
is for recognition, and so it is nice to place the contributors name at a
very prominent place.  There is a certain satisfaction to going to an
applet or application, choosing Help from the menu, and seeing your name
pop up at the top of the window.  It may look somewhat out of place on the
TOC page though.

Dan