Re: Stylesheets [was: Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0]

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 02:50:34PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:24:39PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> > We haven't discussed how we should deal with stylesheets, so we should put
> > a little thought into this.  What do we want?
> >
> > (1) We use one stylesheet for all documents
> > (2) Each group of docs (eg. GNOME docs, KDE docs, LDP docs) gets one
> > stylesheet
> > (3) Each document/package is able to specify and/or supply its own
> > stylesheet.
> >
> > I always thought we would at least have #2, so that GNOME docs could put a
> > little footprint icon at the top and KDE docs could put their logo at the
> > top if they wanted.  However, I could also imagine things getting really
> > messy if we allowed a lot of configurability.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
>   Seems to me that you forget the very important point that most
> stylesheets are based on an existing core which is reused by all
> different styles (only part of the default formatting are overriden
> to provide a given style). Most of the XSLT code is Norm Walsh one and
> MUST be shared. Some extensions on top of it may be shared but will be
> relatively small in comparison.

Daniel's right, so all we need is a relatively modest customization
layer(s).

If #2, how would we test to see which stylesheet to use? File
location? And what of files not in a predictable location? Fall back
to a standard default stylesheet with no project-specific decorations?

It would be simpler to go with #1 and have any project-specific
decorations specified in the doc. Can we do that?

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/