Re: caching (was Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0)

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 07:30:49PM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:53:04PM -0400, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> >
> > Do you cache chunking data or HTML?
> >

> Both, sort of. KDE caches a single file that is really all the chunked
> html files run together with delimeter tags marking the beginning and
> end of each sub-file.

  Okay, my 2 cents on this. Most of the time spent using the
chunking stylesheet are spent in chunking code. Until Norm cleans
up the way he currently recomputes the prev and next links,
it faster to use a non-chunking processing and format the full document.

  Chunking may improve, but it's currently the weakest part of
Norm's stylesheets when you consider them from a 'render on-the-fly'
point of view. I'm unsure the user experience will be that better
if chunking and caching is used instead of direct complete formating
(this one can be cached too, and it's simpler to handle).

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com