Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Eugene O'Connor wrote:

> > return vs. enter.  new keyboards do not have a return key.  users
> > inexperienced with old keyboards will be unable to find the "return"
> > key.  many new keyboards use only the symbol of the arrow pointing left
> > with a vertical extension on the right side.
>
> There are three reasons why we chose to call this key Return rather than
> Enter.
>
> First, we do not want to use the term Enter key for both the Return key
> and the Enter key as in may cases these keys do not do the same thing.
> For example, in gedit I cannot add a new line by pressing Enter. In
> GNOME Calculator, I cannot calculate a sum by pressing Return.

This is probably just me, but seeing as that the keyboard only ever is
likely to have either 'enter' or 'return', and that they normaly mean the
same thing, any program differentiating between them is imho broken.

maybe there are very special applications where 'Return' and 'KP_Enter'
would need to do different things, but these would be really rare ones...

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
	-- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'