Re: Gender-specific language [was: Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide]

> "Topic 11
>                     Use of personal pronouns.
>  Rule
>                     Do not use personal pronouns other than you.
>  Example
>                     We recommend this method of moving a symbolic link.
>  Rewrite
>                     Use this method to move a symbolic link.
>  Exception
>                     None."

I think this is the best solution.  Generally second person should be
avoided for technical writing, but I think for the internal help files
in this kind of software, there shouldn't be a problem with using you.
It avoids the gender dispute totally.

> This seems very reasonable.  It covers most situations and we would
> not need to use "he" or "she" in a situation where the gender is not
> specified.  The one piece which seems to be unspecified is what we do if
> we have a sentence where we can't switch to the plural:
>
>        Tell your boss to install Linux on XXXXX computer.

Using a plural pronoun would be totally incorrect here.  Why not just
avoid the pronoun completely?  "Tell your boss to install Linux on the
computer"  It really wouldn't have to be a pronoun.  Or say "on the
computer in question".  or "this computer"

Of course there is the other pronoun option -- "one"  : "One should
change the password after installation" or whatever.

Many female users would feel excluded by the use of he as the default.
Grammatically it is correct, but I think using "you" would make all
users feel welcome regardless of gender.
bex

ps--i have a BA in english if that matters.