Re: indexing

> If we add an index to a doc manually, as in suggestion 1, then it will
> be useful even without special "index display" - it will just show as
> one of the sections of your document (usually the last one). If you
> are trying to find info about some topic, you just look at this
> section, find (manually) the topic you need, and click on the provided
> link. Much as with printed books.
Oh, ok. This sounds good. Is gnome-db2html2 able to handle these tags?

> Of course, having a special index display with help option would be
> better. Do you have any estimates how soon it will be implemented in
> Nautilus? "after Gnome 1.4" is rather vague...
All I know right now is that hopefully for the next major Gnome release
after 1.4. Work has not been started yet. But this is very important for
Sun. Just like the Search functionality. I always assumed this will be
done as part of the joint Scrollkeeper/Scrollkeeper-Nautilus Integration
project. I did most of the coding of Scrollkeeper with design mostly
discussed with Dan Mueth and other people. Same on the Scrollkeeper
side, there is an intention that as soon as Gnome 1.4 is released myself
or another Sun engineer will be fully responsible for hyperbola, the
Nautilus component that implements the help sidebar and will implement
the GUI for the Index display and Search also (at least this is how I
see it).

Laszlo