Re: Request for comments about Yelp (Helpbrowser)

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:56:02PM -0700, John Fleck wrote:

[snip]

In that case, I vote for 1. 2 would definitely be unworkable, I think.

One user's perspective: I hardly used info pages before I found out that
gnome-help-browser displayed them. The default text info interface is
incredibly awkward, but being able to click around and read things in
g-h-b was nice (although a few more keyboard shortcuts would have nice,
too).

I would like to keep info and man and go for option (1).

Well, there are alternative info viewers, such as pinfo (a much nicer text mode info viewer).

If possible, I would prefer option 2. When I am trying to find documentation on a particular program, I don't care if it is in sgml, info, man or straight text.

Note that with the standard info viewer, you don't need to worry about whether you are looking at info or man pages -- if it doesn't find the docs in the info pages, it tries the man pages.

Of course, categorising man pages is probably quite difficult (other than by section number), which might make integration with the rest of the docs difficult.

For info pages, you can categorise them by looking for the INFO-DIR-SECTION and START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY sections near the top of the file.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/