Re: Documentation for GNOME color picker dialog

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 10:26:02AM +1000, Liam Hazell wrote:

> More broadly, working on this documentation has raised a number of
> issues for me:
>
> * Will the appearance of Dynamic Document Synthesis in GNOME 2.0 mean
> that there will soon be two ways of getting to the documentation for
> items such as the color picker - firstly, via the help button and
> secondly via the combined documentation?

I am not sure what you mean by "Dynamic Document Synthesis". AFAIK,
you will be able to see the same document by pressing the "help"
button, by entering "gnome-help:color_picker" in URL filed of
Nautilus, or by selecting appropriate item from the help tree in
Nautilus. In all these cases, you will be directed to the same file.

I believe it was discussed whether we should have an
"uberdocument" which would include all documentation for all GNOME
apps - a la the current users guide - and while there was no consensus
on this, Dave stated that he was not willing to do this. This probably
means that there will be no "uberdoc" (I personally think it is
unnecessary).

> * What DocBook tag should be used to refer to GNOME components like the
> color picker dialog, if any? I've used 'application' just to set it off
> in some way, but that seems just a tad excessive.

I have no better suggestions...

> * Does the documentation need to include the license text?
> gnome-color-picker.c does not include a reference to the GPL as it is
> covered by the GPL for gnome-libs, but given this documentation might
> stand alone, might inclusion of the license text be a good idea?

I think not.
Instead, I'd suggest providing a link to GPL (which will be
included as sgml file with one of the core packages - probably
gnome-libs - with  url="gnome-help:gpl"), and saying that a copy of the license
can also be found in COPYING file included in the package, or can be
obtained from  FSF. We will update our templates to show a proper
example of doing this real soon.