Re: Proper use of FDL

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 jfleck inkstain net wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Dan Mueth wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, John Fleck wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:01:13AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> > According to the "How to use this License for your documents" section of
> > the FDL and emails on this mailing list from Richard Stallman, it seems
> > that we must also include a sentence directing the reader to a
> > location of the FDL.  For stand-alone documents, it is supposed to
> > be an appendix to the document.  For documents which are grouped
> > together and distributed together, there can be one copy of the FDL
> > which all of the documents link to.  In either case, we should add a
> > sentence at the end of this paragraph pointing the user to either the FDL
> > appendix or the external FDL doc which is shipped with the primary doc.
> >

> So what might that sentence say? "the GNU Free Documentation license,
> a copy of which is located at $PREFIX/share/gnome/help/C/fdl" ? A link to
> pointing to the document is not sufficient?

How about:

	A copy of this license can be found <ulink
	url="gnome-help:fdl">online</ulink> or in the file
	<filename>COPYING-DOCS</filename> installed with this document.

Of course the COPYING-DOCS file merely needs to be shipped with the
package, and does not need to be installed in the same directories as
the other docs.

Does this sound okay to everybody?

Dan