Re: question about RMB

OK, thanks Arlo for the attached explanation,

I think I understand the "Context-Click" suggestion now.

Well, I hate to be negative and all, but I have to vote against this convention.
Here are my reasons:

- I still think the handedness polarity issue stands, which is at the heart of
this debate.

- I think the convention is actually a hybrid of the right-middle-left
convention, but without the rigorous definition of the RML convention.

- I think the nomination of MB3 as the "Context click" button is essentially
flawed because the third button has other functions than just bringing up the
context menu. For example, you can bring a background window into the foreground
by clicking on the top window bar with MB3. It is also conceivable that future
Gnome developments could assign other additional functions to MB3.

- In similar vein, MB1 has other functions than just a straight-forward click,
for example depress-and-drag or depress-and-scroll.

- Clicking MB3 produces a different context menu depending on which application
the cursor is hovering over. OK, OK, I know it's always a context menu as such,
but it's always a >different< context menu. By formalizing MB3 with
"Context-click" we might be leading inexperienced users to think that they are
going to see the same context menu every time they click MB3, for example the
default Gnome context menu. If they don't see the same context menu each time,
they might wonder what they are doing wrong.

- I believe we should keep instructions independent from the result of the
instruction. So for example, have you ever pushed a swing door on the wrong side
(i.e. next to the hinges) trying to open it? I know I have, but then again I
take nothing for granted in this world. In such a situation, a hypothetical
instruction manual saying "Open the door by pushing on the door-opening side"
would be accurate but less instructive than "Open the door by pushing on the
left side."

Maybe I still haven't understood the suggested convention properly, in which
case I apologise for using up your time with my inane remarks.

Regards,

Pat

PS As you might discern from the content of my message, I voting with my keypad
for MB123...

> Subject: Re: question about RMB
> To: <gnome-doc-list gnome org>
>
> > I think that the suggestion for the middle button is "Context click", but
I'm