Re: question about RMB

Dan Mueth <d-mueth uchicago edu> writes:

> On 15 Oct 2000 otaylor redhat com wrote:
>
> > Well, I think most peopel in the discussion know this, but since it
> > hasn't been brought up the problem with 1,2,3 is that for some reason,
> > people seem to think the buttons are numbered, left to right, 1,3,2.
> >
> > (Because, I assume, the middle button is "extra" compared to the
> > windows standard)
>
> Owen - thanks for pointing this out.
>
> If I have a two button mouse, then I would say they are (left to right)
> MB1 and MB2.  If I have a three button mouse, then I would say they are
> (left to right) MB1, MB2, MB3.  Sounds reasonable, right?  This is what
> your newbie user, as well as your average user would expect IMO.
> Left-handed users will have to remember to count backwards.

Hmmm, the actual standard X terminology is

 3 button mouse

   1   2    3

 2 button mouse

   1        3

(Button 2 emulation by chording)

What many people seem to expect is:

 2 button mouse

   1        2

(Button 3 emulation by chording)

 3 button mouse

   1   3    2

you are suggesting yet another possibility that people could expect:

 2 button mouse

   1        2

(Button 3 emulation by chording)

 3 button mouse

   1   2    3

> The problem is that our docs would say "To view the help manual for an
> applet, click on the applet with MB2 (or MB3 if you are using a 3-button
> mouse) and select 'Help'".  This is really unacceptable IMO.
> As Owen points out, in order to keep consistant mapping between button
> number and button function, people will have to remember that if you have
> a three button mouse, they are numbered 1,3,2.  Anybody who hasn't read
> the "Mouse Manual" will certainly get this wrong, and anybody with a
> 3-button mouse who has read it will have to stop and think every time they
> see MB2 in order to remember if MB2 is the second or third button. This
> solution is basically transfering the confusion from left-handed users to
> 3-button mouse users.  I think this option is even less attractive than
> explicitly explaining which button is which inline.

Basically,

 - Numeric designations are neutral for handedness, but can easily
   be misunderstood, and definetely confusing for 2-button mouse
   users. (Including scroll wheel mice, where you have to think of
   the scroll wheel as the second "button".)

 - Left/Middle/Right  makes left-handed users second-class citizens,
   though they probably will figure it out.

 - Named terminalogy like:

    click          (X button 1)
    context click  (X button 3)
    middle click   (X button 2)

   has less chance of misinterpretation, but probably won't be
   understood without further explanation.

   (I suppose if we made each use of "context click" a link to
   a glossary entry, people might pick it up pretty quick)

Regards,
                                        owen