Intro to GNOME (was: question about RMB)

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 06:26:10PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> I think we really need two introductory documents.  One targetted at
> Windows/Mac converts which points out differences with GNOME - perhaps
> simply "Introduction to GNOME".  It would be nice if this would be
> readable by the average Windows user (read "it can be read in an ammount
> of time which a Windows user considers acceptable.  5 or 10 minutes?")
> We could use a seperate document targetted at the person who is completely
> new to computers altogether, although I really don't know how many people
> go from never using a computer directly to using GNOME.
>
> I think Sasha has started working on the former document, although I'm not
> sure how far he has gotten - I seem to recall he was looking for help with
> it.

At the moment, there are 2 docs: "Intro to GNOME" and "If you are new
to UNIX/Linux". The first one describes (very briefly) panel, desktop,
file manager, logging in and out, etc. and provides links to other
docs. The second one is background stuff about filenames, directories,
permissions, mounting, device names, etc; it is also very short. Both
docs are in beta stage; actually, I'll probably post them here for
discussion very soon, but for now, you can get them from cvs at
gnome-docu/user-docs. Yes, I'd appreciate any help.

Sasha

PS. Talking about RMB vs. mouse button 1: I prefer right/left mosue
button, but I could live with MB1, too. However, I am adamant that if
you use MB1, the very first time you mention this in the
document, you should put in brackets or in footnote expalnation like:
MB1 (for most users, this is left mouse button) or something like
this. Otherwise, I am sure my wife would ask me "which button is first
and which is second?" (no, she is not stupid - but she dislikes
computers...)

just wanted  to add a little more oil to the flames...