l10n documentation from Sun [Fw: Style Guides and Glossaries]

Hello,

There's currently a thread running on the gnome-i18n about structurizing
GNOME translations. There are a few topics running simultaneously now,
and the discussion is catalysed by Sun's interest in a good translation
process and their offerings of help.

One of the things Sun say they can help with, is with a number of
documents currently internally used at Sun's, which are translation
guidelines per language, which cover l10n topics (such as number
formats, etc., I guess - haven't seen them yet). Sun and gnome-i18n are
looking for a good spot to put these documents so that they can be
worked on.

It seems to me that the GDP is the correct place to put these documents.
Please see the attached mail for some more details.

Sun is also working on translation systems which may or may not be
useful to GNOME - this discussion is ongoing. They have a "Terming Tool"
which extracts terms out of software and allows people to give a correct
translation per language (to keep translations consistent). As you can
read in the attached mail, they already used the Terming Tool on GNOME
and it produced a list of terms. I'm not sure if this stuff should also
be of interest to the GDP (it is something halfway a document and input
data for a (still-to-build) translation program).

Despite of that, I think that the l10n documents should be part of the
GDP in any case. Can you help Sun to get these docs in CVS? If someone
who has currently got CVS access volunteers to put the docs there, then
volunteer workers (this includes people from Sun) can get a CVS account
and work on it (at least, this seems to be the right procedure to me).

To get copies of these docs to get them in CVS, I think you should
contact Michael Twomey	<michael twomey ireland sun com> (author of the
forwarded message) and/ or 	Aoife Dunne - Sunsoft ELC
<Aoife Dunne ireland sun com> (who started suggesting things on this
topic on the account of Sun). I think Michael is the one who works on
these documents now, so he might be the best person to contact.

Both are (AFAIK) subscribed to gnome-i18n. I promised to keep the i18n
list informed, so I'd also like to stay informed of anything (I
subscribed to the gnome-doc-list today). You can also simply CC to
gnome-i18n, I guess.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from you.

Greets,

Stefan
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
	I'm hoping to get the ball rolling on the glossaries and style guides.

I've taken some of Sun's style guides (for French, Italian, German,
Spanish, Swedish and English) and coverted them from their native Frame
Maker to XML. They still need a lot of work (converting to docbook,
tidying up, changing all the Sun references to Gnome) so I want to put
them somewhere people can get at them and help improve them.

I've also created a Gnumeric spreadsheet from a set of terms mined from
the Gnome pot files. Again this needs work since it currently only
contains a list of English words and it also contains a lot of unwanted
terms (mainly  people's names).

I think the best place to put these documents would probably in the
Gnome CVS tree (under gnome-i18n) until they are in a more publishable
form but I am open to suggestions.

thanks,
	mick

--
Michael Twomey
These opinions are my own and do not represent Sun unless otherwise