Re: new help browser

Alexander Kirillov wrote:

> b. Do we want it to be glossary or index? That is: should the
> definitions be self-contained ("device is ...") or refer to other docs
> (device -- see ....) or both?

I think we should have a definition that is self-contained and then
refer to other docs, definitions, etc. for more clarification.

> c. Do we really want to markup *all* appearances of the word "device"
> in all our docs so that the help browser can display the appropriate
> glossary definition? And same for all other non-obvious terms, such as
> shell, symlink,...? It seems like a terrible waste of time. Can
> anyone suggest a better idea?

I think it would be appropriate to only have one definition for all
identical words currently on the screen.  I'd like to see the glossary
or index as a dynamic part of the doc.  So if symlink is on the screen
there would be a definition some place on the screen.  If the user moved
to the next page, and symlink wasn't in that page, the definition would
disappear and be replaced by the appropriate definitions for words that
were in that particular page the user was looking at.

Eric Baudais