1.2 Congrats and moving onto 2.0

I just wanted to tell everyone how amazingly pleased I have been since
October GNOME up to April GNOME in terms of the documentation effort.

We have grown from one guy to a couple guys to a full fledged
team. Along the way we have had to adjust the way things get done in
order to accommodate the number of people, but it has turned out some
*great* documentation. I can only see it getting better.

Now to announcement time. I have recently become the manager of the
RHAD Labs here at Red Hat, and with the saving graces of Helix Code
and Eazel in the interface work and polish they can get done so easily
, we making a small shift in focus from front end to back end. We will
spend our time working on the GNOME development platform so that
everyone from hackers to ISVs can continue to grow GNOME.

Because of the amount of work involved with our shift and my new job,
I am stepping down as maintainer of the GDP (even though it just
involves staying out of your way as everyone here just knows what to
do and when to do it).

After a lot of thought I would like to suggest Dan Mueth as the new
maintainer of the GDP. I do not feel I am in any position to 'name'
him at all so any discussion about the role is more than welcome - but
my impression is that Dan has been in the project long enough to
understand it, his motivation is staggering to me considering what he
is trying to accomplish in school, and he has great communication
skills. I think Dan would do a wonderful job keeping the GDP in a
direction of offering the best docs available *with* the distribution
while still being able to keep other GNOME interests in mind.

I will still be involved with the project (especially with DocBook and
DSSSL work) but I will not be able to offer as much as I have in the
past.

I will be sending a similar note to gnome-hackers which will talk more
about what the Labs are doing - I will CC it here in case you are
interested and are not on gnome-hackers.

Cheers,

Dave

--

          David Mason