Re: gnome-core / panel.hints

Dan Mueth <d-mueth@uchicago.edu> writes:

> >         <Content>You can drag Panels around just like other
> >     objects. Just press the middle mouse button
> >     (or both buttons together on a 2-button
> >     mouse) on the Panel and hold it down while
> >     dragging the Panel.</Content>

> Yes.  The use of "objects" is definitely ambiguous.  It should say "like
> other Panel objects."  Is there a nice (and short, since this hint is
> pretty long already) way to say you must click on the Panel and not a
> Panel object?  Maybe we should use "... on the end of the Panel ..."?
> Or "... on an empty part of the Panel ..."?

IMO, "end of the panel" will do.  If it's too long, abandon the
parenthesis (the 2-button mouse thingie):

         <Content>You can drag Panels to other/different
     positions/locations. Just press the middle mouse button
     (or both buttons together on a 2-button
     mouse) on the Panel and hold it down while
     dragging the Panel.</Content>

> >         <Content>When moving Panel objects, you can push
> >     other objects by holding down the shift key,
> >     swap objects by holding down the Ctrl key,
> >     or jump objects by holding down the Alt key.</Content>
> >
> > I don't understand this hint...
>
> I'm not sure what is confusing about this. Is it the the use of "you can
> push..." which may sound weird (slang?) to a non-native English speaker?
> Or do we need to emphasize positions: "...swap object positions..." ?

I hold down the shift key or the Ctrl key but nothing interesting
happens.

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o