Re: On trademark issues.

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 02:13:41PM -0500, David C. Mason wrote:

> Well Miguel, this is something I would ask a lawyer about because in
> my long experience writing docs you *must* acknowledge trademarks no
> matter what. My understanding from a lawyer a few years ago was that
> the first instance of a trademarked name had to have the (tm) beside
> it and then the other instances were ok.Then somewhere in that
> document the ownership of that trademark must be presented in
> full. That may have changed since then, but I was glad to see the
> person who added that... add that.

Let me add couple of words:

1. I do not care too much about trademarks: I only added these to the
templates to avoid any possible problems with MS/Apple/whoever
lawyers. I do not really know the laws on this. If RMS knows for sure
that these are not required, I wouldn't object to removing this

2. I do not see RMS's point: on one hand, he has no objections to the
   idea of trademarks, but on the other, acknowledging them is
   considered "kowtowing" to the businesses? Sounds like my 9-year-old
   son, who really doesn't mind putting on his warm hat, but wouldn't
   do so if I tell him to - just b/c he doesn't want to appear
   "kowtowing" to the parents...

Sasha