Re: Python Tutorial 2.0

"David C. Mason" wrote:

> Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> writes:
>
> > Not to be too critical, but what do you think IS the right approach?
> >       Greg
>
> Second it is *our* problem. And by 'our' I mean GNOME and other
> desktops. The whole idea of these desktop projects is to bring Unix
> and Unix-like systems to the desktop user... that mean usability. In
> my mind *everything* has usability, not just GUIs. Docs have
> usability, command line apps have usability, etc. We have to take the
> 'whole view' in mind. What will the user run into trying to use
> GRandomApp - what can we do to make it self explanatory for them to
> use GRandomApp - what value can we add to that experience with
> documentation? with error messages? with interface? with work flow?
> with translations?
>
> These are *all* a part of our desktop - we can no longer separate
> ourselves from others who are, in essence, trying to reach the same
> goal - [close to] perfect usability.

Of course we are all reaching the same goal.  We are trying to make
Linux and the GNU applications and GNOME and KDE so usable that a person
with no prior computer experience can use them.  There might be a
learning curve, our job is to lessen it, it might be difficult, our job
is to make is easier, but the goal is still there.

You didn't answer Greg's question though.  I'll restate it:  What is the
right approach in order reach the goal of complete usability?  I, like
Greg, am still searching for the answer.  The GDP is still searching for
that answer.  I imagine that the LDP is also searching for the answer.

What do you think IS the right approach?

Eric Baudais