RE: indexing

I don't think that's how it works, but I could be mistaken.  The
<index></index> tags are for locating the actual index, not for placing
index terms.  Inside your document, you place

<indexterm>
  <primary>Big Cats</primary>
  <secondary>Tigers</secondary>
</indexterm>

And then your tools build something in the actual index that points to the
proper section when you look up Big Cats, Tigers in the index.  Clear as
mud?  Take a look at the examples for indexterm and related in DocBook: TDG,
I found them helpful for understating how the markup worked.
	Greg