Re: Gnome-App Template Proposed Updates

Omitting comments that have already been discussed...

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 10:51:21PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> If we omitted id's, then we should add them.  While it would be
> nice to have an organized id naming system like this, we have to be very
> careful the id names don't get too long; They are limited to about 40
> characters in length.  Will this be a problem?

Hmm.. 40 characters?

0123456789012345678901234567890123456789
long-section-about-nothing-inparticular

That's probably as deep as anyone should go. The figure- prefix may need to be shortened back to the fig- prefix.

> I found them helpful, but this is merely a matter of taste.  We should do
> whatever most people prefer.

I agree, whichever way the author prefers.

> > 5. I changed the legalnotice to have the FSF's address be formatted
> > the same as the license section (see lines 79-84).
>
> This is how we originally did them.  However the output from db2html does
> not format <address>'s in the <legalnotice> right.  Instead of formatting
> it as a real address, or even as an inline address (what you get the old
> way, leaving out <address>), it tries to do an inline address on a new
> line.  If you can identify the cause of this problem and fix it, that
> would be great.  Otherwise, we probably should keep the <address> out of
> the <legalnotice> since it is broken:(

Hmm.. IC.

http://eliot.landrum.cx/gdp/gnome-app-template/my-gnome-app.glade

> > 8. Added screenshots of each menu in the usage-menubar section. Also
> > removed references to "you" in the menu item descriptions.
>
> I'd be curious to hear other people's opinions of this.  I think the use
> of "you" was intentional.

My english teachers/professors have made me allergic to the use of "you" .. it's too easy to get a mistaken identification. See my comments to Karl.

> I think the screenshots may be overkill.

Hmm.. maybe. Adds a bit of real-lifeness.

> In fact, as discussed in an earlier thread, these detailed descriptions of
> the UI are painful and uninteresting to the reader and will soon be
> obsoleted when the pop-up help is finished.

That's good to hear.. but we're still writing manuals. Can we have a good example of the current style?

> > 9. I completely overhauled the prefs section.
>
> Do people feel we should have screenshots for each tab?  I used to feel we
> should, but now I am not so sure since this can quickly become a burden
> since some apps have many tabs.

I'm thinking that maybe once an application gets over 4 tabs, then maybe screenshots should be eliminated. I liked to have screenshots for the same reason as the menu shots.. something real life.

> Thanks for the work.  Hopefully we can use some of these.

Doesn't look like that's going to happen, but that's OK.

/me goes back to EOG Manual and Jabber Programmers Guide.

--
Eliot Landrum
eliot@landrum.cx

-Soli Deo Gloria-