Re: Example GNOME app w/ docs?

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:41:15AM -0600 or thereabouts, Dan Mueth wrote:
> Does anybody know if there is a full, simple example application ("Hello
> World") that shows the basics of writing a GNOME app and documentation?
> If not, perhaps this would be a nice way of illustrating the basics of how
> GNOME apps and documentation should be layed out, how the Help button
> connects, how context sensitive help works(when this is finished), etc.
>
> Do we need something like this that would act as a simple example for both
> new GNOME developers and documentation authors?  Or does this exist
> somewhere?

It exists in parts. The parts are all in the tutorials on
developer.gnome.org:

Example Hello World Program
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/gtk.html#AE
(for using GTK)

Very Basic GNOME Program
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/gnome-programming.html#AEN49

Building GNOME Apps
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/building-gnome-apps.html

Gnome help system and writing stuff for it for your program:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/helpsys.html

Programming Guides
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/
(a couple more guides there)

There is nothing about requiring people to include help and documentation
in the programming guides, nor about the common format of "File,
Settings, Help" layout of many apps' menubars. I suspect they may
be mentioned in the UI Hit Squad page. I'm told there is a standard
way to get your program to spot when the help button is pressed
and bring up the relevant documentation, but I don't know whether
or where it is documented. It might be in the gnome-libs tutorial:
everything else seems to be!

Telsa