gtop docs and various questions

I have sent this to Martin, the gtop maintainer, already, but
if anyone wants a look, the getting-somewhere version, after
Sasha's sanity checking and a friend's technical checking, is at

http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/~hobbit/gtopindex.html

...and its associated links, and a tarball of the Docbook is at

http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/~hobbit/gtopdraft.sgml.gz

I have a to-do list and some questions of course :)

Anyone who can explain exactly what the views of shared, virtual
and total memory are showing, please tell me! Someone I asked
said that one of these isn't actually calculated by Linux: is
it a BSD thing, then, and if so, what's getting shown when I
look at it on Linux?

Does it make sense to people who don't know much about it?
So far, the people who have seen it have mostly been people who
understand this stuff, and although they say it's clear, I
don't know whether it's clear to new folks.

I had a frenzy of adding <guithing> tags. I -hope- they're the
right ones. What else can I mark up? :) This is fun!

It may need more pictures. I'm not sure on that. This is partly
because pngs turn out to be way bigger than jpgs. Also, my pngs
display fine in xv and in Netscape, but the gnome-help-browser
shows them as very blotchy. (The pictures aren't in that directory
yet because I'm a bit worried about the effect on the modem. :)
They're simply what the titles would lead you to expect.)

Finally, some gnome-documentation-specific questions. Should
it be GNOME or Gnome? GNOME is cumbersome and breaks the flow
to read it. This is very noticeable when I printed it out.
However, I suspect it's probably the 'proper' way, and most
of the rest of the docs seem to use that. UNIX, Unix, unix,
or *nix-like? Are there preferred terms for different concepts?
Menubar (like programmers write it) or menu-bar (more user-
friendly?). Toolbar or tool-bar?

I got the stuff off Dave Mason's "Using the GNOME PNG Support
Custom DTD and Stylesheets" page at
http://www.labs.redhat.com/png/custom.html and installed it.
This worked fine for including pngs, and worked fine for
generating the html (although Dave, you need directions about
what you use instead of 'db2html' on the web page as well as
inside the stylesheets! Really, I missed that completely at
first!).

When I tried to generate a printable result with the gnome-print.dsl
one, though, the commandline from the stylesheet comments didn't work,
and I spent a lot of time faffing about before simply removing
the pngs, altering the DTD declaration (I think: the bit at the
top of the file :)) back to plain docbook, and running db2ps.
That worked fine. Trying the commands that db2ps actually runs,
one at a time, on the Gnome-png-Docbook variety just didn't work,
and I spent ages trying.

Sasha suggested that what 90% of people are going to want to
know first is "how to find and kill rogue processes" and that
I should put an appendix with an obvious link in, or a "go here
if all you want to do is find how to kill things". Yes? No?
He also suggested moving the menus sections from each page
(processes, memory and filesystems) into their own section
or otherwise cutting down on duplication. I think they're in
the right place, but I'm open to persuasion. They could go
next to the preferences stuff, I suppose.

I know it's detailed, but there is no one place where you can
get all this information normally. When you put it all together,
there's a lot. I have, I hope, tried to put the complicated bits
at the end of each paragraph/section, so people can skim when
it gets hard!

I think that's it. Feedback welcome :)

Telsa