GDP Screenshot Standards

GDP Members,

For the sake of simplicity and consistency to the GNOME/Linux
newbie, the GDP is adopting a screenshot standard which will
dictate the window manager and theme that will be used for all
screenshots in GDP documentation.

Note that documentation authors do not have to use this
window manager/theme combination. The GDP has adopted a
standard of accepting non-DocBook submissions and converting
them for authors, and will do a similar thing for
screenshots: screenshots which are taken with the wrong
window manager/theme combination will be converted by
GDP members.

The new window manager/theme combination will be decided by
a vote by GDP authors.  Below, I have a draft of the window
manager/theme candidates available and the considerations
vote decisions should be based upon.  I will be accepting
suggestions for additions/modifications to the candidates
and considerations through Tuesday.  Please send all
suggestions to the gnome-doc mailing list.  Wednesday or Thursday
I will send out an email announcing the beginning of voting
on the gnome-doc mailing list. Voting will occur by email and
last for three days.

The window manager/theme decision will be used as the standard
for screenshots in GNOME 1.x documentation.  By the time
GNOME 2.0 is in preparation, we will likely revisit
this issue, as many window managers will have matured significantly
by then.

Dan

-----

          Candidates for GNOME 1.x Documentation Screenshots

1) Enlightenment/Clean Big
2) Sawmill/MicroGUI
3) Sawmill/gtk
4) IceWM/(default theme)
5) Fvwm/(default theme)
6) Window Maker/(default theme)

-----

                Considerations for Vote Decisions
                       (In random order)

1) Ease of Installation (or standardly installed on most distributions)
2) Ease of Configuration
3) GNOME-compliance
4) Good contrast (ie. looks good when printed on paper)
5) Large font size
6) Stability and reasonable performance (memory and CPU)
7) Generic appearance (ie. doesn't look exceptionally different from
                          the "average" window manager/theme )
8) Default appearance
9) Nice appearance