Re: Using SourceForge for GDP members

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 09:37:49PM -0600 or thereabouts, John Fleck wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 09:40:10PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> > What do people think of using SourceForge to host docs which GDP members
> > want other GDP members to look over and give feedback on?  Some of us do
> > not have easy access to a host to post our docs on.  SourceForge would
> > give us a place to do this.  I don't think we would use any of
> > SourceForge's other services, and we definitely would not move our web
> > pages or any other permanent services to SourceForge.  It would just be an
> > easy way for Joe-GDP-member to login and place his my-gnome-doc.html files
> > on the net.  We would probably want this to be a site for temporary files
> > only and have a policy of erasing any file which is older than, say, two
> > months.
> >
> > Dan

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> This seems like an effective solution to an ongoing problem.
>
> Would there be maintenance issues? I've not used SourceForge - how are
> permissions handled? Who has permission to upload files, modify them
> and delete them?

You have project "admins" and members at sourceforge - you essentially add
them to your "gdp" group. Everyone would have to sign up with sourceforge,
and they'd get a ssh shell account. So they can copy files and just set
regular UNIX permissions (essentially, whoever is in the group, although
someone could choose to set files to not be group writable...)

If you don't have SSH, you're pretty out of luck, though. I don't think that's
a really big problem, though.

Kenny