Re: Tables now supported

* Gregory Leblanc (GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu) wrote at 18:11 on 10/08/00:
> So I guess that wouldn't be a good project for the evening, huh?  :-)  I'm
> actually far more concerned about/interested in what this converter will do
> for non-GNOME docs.  I know that I would REALLY like this to be able to
> render ALL DocBook (and probably *roff and info) documentation on my system.

You can render MAN files using 'gnome-man2html2' and you can render info files
as 'gnome-info2html2'.

I think somebody needs to write a document that will convert Docbook (API
docs) to man files :) Any volunteers? ;)

gnome-db2html2 does not care wether it is a GNOME doc or non-GNOME doc. I got
some (kernel) SGML files from telsa which I tried out. The major problem with
that though is that it uses <chapter> tags which are not supported in
gnome-db2html2 (we use sect1/sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5 tags).

Hmmm - could we just pretend that <chapter> tags == <sect1> tags ? This idea
might actually work - I've put it on my TODO list.

Another barrier to getting the kernel SGML files to render was the lack of
table-support. That now works.

If you tell me about a tag, and how the output should look like I will
probably add it :) So go out there and start testing. Where do you think all
the gnome-db2html2 fixes are coming from? (John Fleck reports them, I fix it)

> > > No, both table types cannot have ID attributes.
> >
> > Okay - now I can remove a bunch of code that I spent a while
> > coding/understanding (well - at least i now understand how to
> > use SectContext)
>
> Just out of curiosity, is the code that you're working on capable of
> rendering a <section> within another <section> with different rules?  I.E.
> You give <sect1> a format of X, and <sect2> a format of Y.  Can
> <section><section> look like <sect2> would?  If that's not clear, let me
> know, I'll try to translate it into proper English.

This is not clear at all. What do you mean a 'a format of X' or 'a format of
Y'

I do not recommend including a <sect1> under a <sect1> (is that even Docbook
compliant???) if that is what you mean.

Otherwise, I have no clue what you are talking about? ;) (perhaps a 'sample
case')

> > > Let us know when it's checked in, I did manage to compile
> > it once, but that
> > > was months ago.  I'd like to try it out on a couple of
> > non-gnome documents
> > > as well, just to see what it does.  :-)  You might want to
> > keep a link to
> > > http://www.DocBook.org/tdg/html/docbook.html handy, it has
> > links to an
> > > explanation of each of the DocBook elements.  It's a good
> > reference, but
> > > somewhat boring to read.  :-)
> >
> > Well, you could keep your eye on cvs-commits list ;) I
> > should've checked it in
> > today, but I noticed Darin made a 'pre-emptive' fix in
> > help-method.c (which
> > causes a few conflicts on my side that I need to clean-up)
>
> Hmm, good point.  I've stayed away from it, because I'm generally not all
> that interested in CVS code, except for an occasional module, like this one,
> and maybe later Evolution.  Guess it's time to sign up for the digest.  :)

Table support is now checked in :)