Re: Tables now supported

> > I have some questions though:
> >
> > 1) What does the <tgroup> tag do? I ignore it for now, and
> > everything seems to
> > work fine. Jade also 'seems' to ignore it.
>
> http://www.DocBook.org/tdg/html/tgroup.html
>
> Check out the section on "Processing expectations" for the sort of info that
> you want.
> I think that <tgroup> is designed for grouping sections of a very large,
> very complex table together.  I don't have anything that complex handy.  Is
> anybody using <tgroup>?

Well - the table usage's I saw used <tgroup> but they had no real effect on
the table as far as I could tell :) I guess they were not complex enough.

And I really do hope that nobody comes along with a REALLY complex table (just
so they can break my fragile code)

> > 2) What is the difference between an <informaltable> and
> > understand <informaltable> doesn't have a title and has a
> > 'slightly' different
> > HTML tag than <table>
>
> <informaltable> does not have a title while
> That's it.

Heh - I guessed right :) and by the way - that is the only Docbook difference.
There is slightly different <TABLE> (HTML) tag output for each one (as
determined by jade).

> > 3) Can <table> have an id attribute? (i.e. <table
> > id="table1">) What about
> > <informaltable>, can it have an id attribute?
>
> No, both table types cannot have ID attributes.

Okay - now I can remove a bunch of code that I spent a while
coding/understanding (well - at least i now understand how to use SectContext)

> > I would also like to know of any bugs you encounter with
> > table support. I've
> > only really tested it on the kernel-locking.sgml file telsa
> > provided me with.
> > (Note: I have table support on my local tree only - you will
> > have to wait
> > until I check it into CVS)
>
> Let us know when it's checked in, I did manage to compile it once, but that
> was months ago.  I'd like to try it out on a couple of non-gnome documents
> as well, just to see what it does.  :-)  You might want to keep a link to
> http://www.DocBook.org/tdg/html/docbook.html handy, it has links to an
> explanation of each of the DocBook elements.  It's a good reference, but
> somewhat boring to read.  :-)

Well, you could keep your eye on cvs-commits list ;) I should've checked it in
today, but I noticed Darin made a 'pre-emptive' fix in help-method.c (which
causes a few conflicts on my side that I need to clean-up)

I didn't look at that URL yet, but I've added it to my bookmarks list. So far
though, looking at jade output[1] and reverse-engineering it seems to work
okay ;)

Regards,
Ali

[1] Jade's output is the ugliest thing I have seen in my life, so I have
started making a concious effort to at least make gnome-db2html2's output look
better :)