Re: GPL references in docs

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 12:31:27PM -0400, Aaron Weber wrote:
> > Hi folks:
> >
> > it recently occured to me that while we  spent much time discussing
> > the license to be used for the docs, most of our docs do not give the
> > licensing terms for the *software* they document. This, of course, is
> > given in COPYING file in the source, and often also in the "about"
> > box, but IMHO, this should be repeated in the docs. SOmething like
> > this (in the "authors" section):

> That sounds like a good idea to me-- but if it's in the "About" section,
> and in the "COPYING" file, isn't that enough?

COPYING file is definitely not enough: licensing info should be easy
to find for any user (or lawyer, or journalist), and most people do
not even know about existence of COPYING file. "about" box maybe
enough, yes - but I think it would do no harm to repeat this in the
manual, too. Also: in many cases, "about" box does not display license
info (for example, for GNOME panel).

Sasha