Re: Standardizing help paths

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> Right now we have the $(datadir)/gnome/help/appname/[lang]/topic.dat stuff,
> which looks like
>
> 	foo.html	Using FooApp
> 	bar.html#blah	Doing blah
>
> It gives the titles of the things that go in the Help menu, and maps
> them to HTML files with anchors.
>
> We should deprecate this setup.

I have already done so in my experimental helpsys code, using a topic.list
file instead (which is basically the same format, but has a "help path"
instead of a filename).

> We can already put ID fields in the DocBook sources, so we should use
> them.  We need a reliable way to map these IDs to the final HTML
> sections.  Mark and Dave say that this can be done.  If that is the
> case, then all is easy.  I don't know if this is a valid URI, but we
> could use "ghelp:appname#id", where id is the one you put in the
> DocBook source.

Well, it is more than just #id, because you have to also take into account
the chapter name (normally this is translated to the HTML file name).

-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.