Re: French & DocBook

Xavier Nicolovici <nicolovi@club-internet.fr> writes:

> I'm curently translating the GNOME user's guide in french, and, as I'm new with
> DocBooc, I have a little problem:
>
> I have a source file written with sgml tags, then I run db2html, and it works
> fine. But, since it is a french document, i would like to have stuff like
> "Table of contents" written in french, like "Table des matières".
>
> The header of my sgml document is:
> <!DOCTYPE BOOK PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN" []>
>
> I've tried to replace EN by FR, but all it does is to display a lot of errors,
> and still do the job with engish words.

I don't know what the EN in the DTD reference means, but what you
should do is put a LANG attribute in the top-level element of your
document, eg:

    <BOOK LANG="fr">

Whether this gives you the proper localisation depends on the
stylesheet you're using.  If I remember right, Norm Walsh's
stylesheets can be easily localised, so if there aren't French
bindings it should be quite easy to write them.

Hope this helps.

    Andy
Andrew Smith                     \  /             amsmith@hempseed.com
Future Illusions                  \/          www.future-illusions.com