Re: Jadetex problems

On 21 Jun 1999, David C. Mason wrote:
> Gleef <gleef@capital.net> writes:
> > Hi, I just did some major system upgrades, and I'm trying to run jadetex
> > (either separately or in db2dvi), but whatever I do it gives me the error:
> >
> >    $ jadetex gnome-faq.tex
> >    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3)
> >    (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> >
> > I'm running RedHat 6.0, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the
> > Jade, TeX, and JadeTeX rpms, without success.  I had everything working
> > back when I was running RedHat 5.2 and Rawhide.  Has anyone else run into
> > this problem?  Does anyone know of a fix?
>
> OK, here's the deal... I just told someone else the problem so I will
> cut and paste :)
>
> the problem is a compatibility problem with jadetex and the new tetex
> packages. Essentially the babel parts in jadetex don't work with the
> new tetex. We created a temporary jadetex package that has all of the
> babel stuff commented out. If you just work with English docs this
> will help you, if you need other languages you will have to wait until
> the jadetex guy finishes the work he is doing.
>
> Also, there is a new tetex out (post RH 6.0 release). It is the 1.01
> release. I would NOT recommending you downloading it. It has some
> really strange font problems that we are trying to figure out now.
>
> Let me know if you want me to send you the "hacked" jadetex.

Sounds like it could be useful, you could email it or let me know where
to grab it (do you mind if I put it on the GNOME FTP site until the real
fix comes through).

Also, from what you are saying, it sounds like downgrading my tetex
packages should also do the trick.  If the hacked jadetex doesn't work
I'll try that.

Thanks alot,
-Gleef