users guide updates

Hi All,

When I am sure the CVS server is going I will be updating the users-guide with
some major changes. Below is a detailed list of the changes made. I will be
updating the docs to the web page as soon as I make a new tarball of them for
release.

Some good news to anyone who has been following the gnome-docs list, we have
had a few people come forward to provide translation of the docs. We now have
people working on Spanish, Italian, and Chinese versions. It would be great to
have more!

Dave

[CHANGES to docs 14/1/99]

I. Split out the Installation document to be worked on separately. This may
even occupy a new CVS directory. For now it is not being included into the
GNOME docs as it is constantly wrong due to the development/release cycle. The
sgml file is gnome-install.sgml

II. The GNOME applications section has been split off of the main document for
organizational reasons. It is now being included as an entity defined as
GNOME-APPS. This will be easier to maintain if the application authors start
sending in documentation for their apps. The sgml file is gnome-apps.sgml

III. More work was done on the following sections:

1. Added a generic introduction to GNOME as Chapter 1.

2. Added section to Using the GNOME Panel entitled Running Applications. This
is aimed at new users and creates a section with quick information about
getting apps started.

3. Added more to "Drag and Drop Tour of GNOME".

4. Worked more on File Manager docs. Added a menu guide with the updated
menus. (A big hand to Jonathan and Federico for the redesign of these).

5. Changed the section styles of the Gnome Control-Center Capplet docs so they
would appear in the table of contents.

6. Added a couple more applets.

7. Started work on the Calendar.