Gnome users' guide

I'd like to help with the users' guide.  I'm new to gnome but not to
Linux.  I've hit a number of snags where I found the documentation (both
supplied & what I could turn up searching the net) inadequate.  Could I
but get the answers to my questions I'd be happy to help add them to the
documentation.

My single biggest problem has been that there appears to be no way to
alter the color scheme used in the file manager and gnome configuration
tool.  Mostly these are white with black lettering, as shown in the
documentation, but when I upgraded this system to RH6.1 and switched
from XFCE to gnome, the color scheme on both those apps is blue
background w/white letters.  On a machine at work, it's black on a
midtone brown background.  Grrrr!

Also, as a former librarian (before I got involved with running web
sites, programming perl & running Linux) I find the index to the users'
guide in need of help too, which I'd also be happy to work on.

Let me know how I can help.