Re: Manual Pages

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
Please CC me, I'm not on the gnome-doc-devel-list.

At the moment in the Manual Pages section of the docs, it's pretty hard to see what is what.

Does anyone actually remember what 'acct' is?

Why don't we pull the 'NAME' from the man page, split the first string up to the first space off, we'd get 'acct'. Make that a link, and in plain text put everything after ' - ' (in this case 'execution accounting file') I see we'd need to do some regex to drop the '/etc/', and see if it's possible to make those other links work. Anyway - I can do the manual work, but am not much of a coder - and regex drives me crazy.

Reading/parsing from all the man pages on disk will be pretty expensive.

Smarter to use something like whatis which looks in /var/cache/man/index.db

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality>
IRC: smitten