Re: Thai Numbering in gnome-doc-utils

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:31 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> On Sunday at 4:59, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>
> > I'm going to translate gnome-doc-utils into Thai and find
> > two required Thai numberings are missing. One is Thai alphabetical,
> > and the other is Thai decimal digits.
>
> I've had a similar problem with Serbian.  My solution is on:
>
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-devel-list/2005-September/msg00000.html
>
> Basically, I define a string containing Serbian alphabet in
> alphabetical order, and use that to numerate stuff. It won't work with
> decomposed characters, but it should work for a fairly wide number of
> cases (and it seems it would work for Thai: just remember to replace
> 30 with alphabet length as well).
>
> I'd like it if someone made this more "general" (i.e. you just call a
> template with "alphabet" string -- there is another XSL function which
> can be used to calculate string length so you don't need to hardcode
> it as I did [30 in my case]).

Hey Danilo,

Sorry, I totally forgot about the Serbian number thing.  I've got
some XSLT right now that does the Thai alphabetic numbering (as well
as XSLT for the Thai decimal and Persian decimal numberings).  It's
not too hard to implement these numbering systems in top-level XSLT.
Decimal and alphabetic numbering systems are algorithmically trivial.
It's things like roman numerals that get tricky.

So I found your old email in my archive (which was necessary, because
mailman's archives totally bork the character encoding).  The sequence
of characters you provided doesn't seem to be sequential in Unicode.
Could you send me the correct range as code points, just to make sure
I don't screw it up?  Something like this:

0410-0414, 0402, 0415-0418, ...

And for lowercase as well.

// Shaun