Re: [pygtk] Status of pygtksourceview?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:40:20PM +0000, Stephen Kennedy wrote:
> However I'm reluctant to release this version just yet
> as pygtksourceview seems to be in limbo. There was talk
> of moving it into either the sourceview package or into
> gnome-python (better I think), but its not in either
> cvs tree.

I've pestered people on IRC to see what their thinking is. James isn't
around, but the general idea is that gtksourceview isn't a part of gnome
[yet] and gnome-python hasn't been very actively maintained lately, so
we're in a bit of a fix as to where it's supposed to go. Here are some
alternatives that I can suggest:

    a) Distribute pygtksourceview with your meld code. It's ugly but you
       guarantee some dependency relief to your users.

    b) Pester James (and I guess he's going to be the only person who
       could accept this) to change his mind and take pygtksourceview
       into gnome-python, compiling it conditionally.

    c) Pester the gtksourceview maintainer (Johan tells me it's Gustavo
       Giraldez <gustavo giraldez gmx net>) to include the python
       bindings in his distribution.

    d) Maintain (or pester Ahmad ;) a separate pygtksourceview package,
       released independently of all the above packages.

The underlying hint is: we could really use some help here :-)

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 261 2331