Re: [DevHelp] Some requests

mån 2003-03-31 klockan 13.41 skrev Biswapesh Chattopadhyay:
> On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:45, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> Well, as far as I am aware, there is no clear-cut decision that a merge
> will *never* take place, so maybe there is no hurry to immediate change
> the name ?

I think it's important to make it clear where we stand and what we plan
for the future. The reason for this is that if I (or anyone else) wants
to help out on the development platform for GNOME it's today very hard
to get into where to help.

Today I have to take a descision on whether to help on Anjuta2 or
Anjuta1 without knowing if my work will be dropped in the future. We
announce Anjuta2 to be the successor to Anjuta1 but no work towards this
is done.

Anjuta1 is usable as it is today, Anjuta2 is pretty far from being
usable. Should I help on adding stuff that I lack in Anjuta1 or will
that be dropped for Anjuta2 ...

It would be really good if we could get a decission on this, and make it
obvious what that decission is. Otherwise I think it's better to keep
them separated so that people know what they are contributing there time
to.

> It (the anjuta1 code base) not beyond salvage IMO. People are always
> tempted to throw away code and rewrite it - it's always so much more fun
> ;-) Sadly, it often proves more work and the rewrite somehow never gets
> finished 90% of the time, esp. in open source projects, because the new
> developer doing the rewrite loses interest, or no longer has enough
> time, or moves on to other things, or maybe realizes that it was a wrong
> decision in the first place !

Yeah, that is a too common problem.

> > Btw, is the Anjuta1 port for GNOME 2 buildable from CVS somewhere?
>
> jhbuild anjuta should give you a pretty stable and working HEAD build
> without too much trouble. To get an idea about what I mean about the
> configurabiluity and flexibility, check out the tool editor and advanced
> search/replace in 1.0.2 or HEAD. As far as I'm aware, HEAD is pretty
> stable except for the messages window, which still uses CList and is
> therefore probably quite slow. Also, some parts of the code uses ZVT and
> others VTE, which is a bit problematic. Otherwise, things are pretty
> good I think, but I've been too busy with 1.0.2 release and sourcebaseto
> help Naba out with HEAD :-(

I'll take a look on it.

Thanks,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/