Scaffold (was Re: new, little patch and some questions (fw))

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 09:11, aurelien naldi wrote:

> From: aurelien naldi <aurelien resus univ-mrs fr>
> To: John (J5) Palmieri <johnp martianrock com>
> Subject: Re: new, little patch and some questions
> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:51:00 +0100
>
> Le jeu 04/12/2003 à 01:54, John (J5) Palmieri a écrit :
> [..]

> > I'm working on it actualy.  More to the point I am working on a code
> > parsing and generation engine that will keep track of every piece of the
> > code.  One of the byproducts is a complete symbol browser - that means
> > classes, properties, methods, signals along with attributes like public
> > and private.  I'm prototyping it in python and then integrating it with
> > Scaffold in C.    That is going to take awhile though.
>
> fine, I'd be interrested in this but I don't know anything in python,
> would it be possible to have an idea on how advanced it's right now ?
> Will it be very C/C++ specific or opened to other languages ?
> Have you any timeline for this ?

Not very advanced except in my mind.  I have the database structure now
and a template for the rules file which will be in XML.  The XML rules
file will be open to any language (and perhaps documents that are not
languages) so long as there is a parser to parse into the database
format.   The problem is there is no parsers yet.  I'm looking into
other projects parsers but it is not something I am realy interested in
now.  I am working on the higher level stuff.  Things like figuring out
what is a signal and what is a method from the parsed files in the
database.  Once that is done getting a parser to actualy generate the
database (instead of me doing it by hand) should be very easy.  Then
comes the incramental parser which will be harder.

> > Oh and feel free to ask questions.
> ok, here are a few more:
>
> * there is a "gnome-debug" dir in cvs and a debugger plugin for scaffold
> based on it, is someone working on it ?

Gnome-debug has been in bad shape.  I have seen screenshot of it being
used but have never been able to get it to compile.  Even if I could
Scaffold is so different than when it began as gIDE and then Anjuta 2.
If you want to work on that that would be a great addition.

> * I recently worked a bit with eclipse, it's quite slow but has
> interresting featuresand seems to have a HIGH level of understanding of
> the java syntax:
> 	- it prevents you when a class, object, method is unknown
> 	- it prevents you when arguments for a method mismatch
> 	- it prevents you when you forgot semicolon
> do you plan this kind of thing in your parser ?

Exactly what I have planned.

> it has as well a TODO list, faster than scanning code for "// TODO"

sounds like a nice feature.

> all this is nice but require a huge interaction with the editor, is
> gtksourceview ready for this ?
> can we mark a line (with an icon in the margin for exemple) ?

Interaction with the editor is there already.  As for putting an Icon in
the margin, I am not sure but it should be easy to implement.

> that's all for now, I hope I'm not borrying you with stupid questions,
> feel free not to answer :)

Not at all.  Ask away.

--
J5