Re: [Glade-devel] A library API to Glade3 for other programs.

--- "John (J5) Palmieri" <johnp martianrock com>
wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 04:30, Archit Baweja wrote:
>
> > There are 2 main ways of exposing the glade3's
> capabilities
> >
> > 1) Bonobo || IDL interfaces. Lots of Bonobo/CORBA
> overhead involved. Gives us
> > the glade3 develops more to do. But we have the
> advantage of starting "late"
> > on working this without changing much of the code.
> With the other option, we
> > might just have to start changing from the ground
> up.
> >
> > 2) A simple C library API interface. Not much
> overhead. And saves the glade3
> > developers lot of work. Projects wanting to embedd
> glade3 can encapsulate
> > it by wrapping glade3 API calls in their own
> plugin/dock system.
> >
> > During our discussion on #devel-tools on
> irc.gnome.org, we had sort of went in
> > favour of option 2. But its the community's call.
> >

> As a developer of Scaffold I would like to point out
> that we use Bonobo
> quite successfully without any noticable slowdowns.

I don't think that Archit was thinking on slowdowns
when he said "Lots of Bonobo/CORBA overhead involved".
 It looks to me as if he was speaking of intelectual
overhead (but that's up to him to clarify it).

FWIW, I don't really care if somebody does a bonobo
wraper of glade.  Just having a bonobo wrapper doesn't
mean that we can't build glade on windows.  The bonobo
wrapper would of course only be available on the linux
build, but that's not a problem.

Anyway, I think that you should start trying to use
glade-3 on scaffold (even if just copying & pasting
the code) and bring the most important issues on
current glade-3 to make it usable (I'm expecting
changes to report the addition of new callbacks to
scaffold, at the very least).

It's already discutable the usefulness of having the
editor as a component, let alone an alpha quality user
interface builder.

So, in short, a bonobo wrapper will be nice, but if
you want it right now, you will have to do it yourself
:)

Cheers,

=====
Joaquin Cuenca Abela