[no subject]

Well, it's GTK2. More problemmatic might be the fact that it is C++,
which GNOME people are somewhat reluctant to include. Also, including
C++ libraries in C code brings associated problems, e.g. linking must be
in C++ mode, etc. Of course, using Bonobo and out-of-process components
is pretty advantageous for this.

> - it is really hard to add new highlighting / language modes to
> Scintilla, compared with glimmer (AFAIUI)

That's because glimmer's highlighting style is word based. This is
pretty limited and does not allow for things like proper lexing,
folding, etc. I also think that we should concentrate on addiing *good*
support for a few languages rather than OK-ish support for a large
number of languages.

> - It would be a lot of work to integrate it (I imagine)

See above. Currently, Scintilla supports lots more stuff (not just fluff
- stuff that's really required - e.g. code folding, programmable lexers,
etc.) than Glimmer.

> One of the long standing requests from Anjuta1 users was either the
> use of the gvim embeddable component thingy, or vi-style keybindings.
> If Anjuta2 ever reaches a wider audience, these kind of calls will
> crop up here too.

This is purely a personal perspective, but sometimes I get really
bothered about our aims. No known popular IDE gives choice about
multiple embeddable editor interfaces (except possibly CVS KDevelop).
Yes, some of them have customizable key bindings, and some allow the use
of external editors (which is quite different from having multiple
'embeddable' editors). IMO, it is more important to support one editor
*really well* (customizable keybindings is not really that hard to
implement) rather than having so-so integration with lots of editors.

Rgds,
Biswa.