Re: anjuta2 development - TODO

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 16:37, Naba Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 14:21, JP Rosevear wrote:
> >
> > What exactly does a symbol browser component do?
> It will sit on the left pane (where the project manager and other stuffs
> sit) and display all the tags in the project in nice tree form.
>
> I am planning to put it in gdl.
>
> ideas?

I'm planning to have this functionality (the non-GUI part, of course) in
the next release of TagManager (0.5), I'll need this to provide more
intelligent code completion. Right now, I can get list of possible
functions and calltips for partial strings. However, what I want is:

GPtrArray *x;

x-><Help for autocomplete>

and the library should be able to supply the members of GPtrArray. This
would go for class members in C++/Java as well.

For this, I'll have to have construct a symbol tree as well as teach the
parser to parse arbitrary code blocks to get vartype for a variable, so
the next (natural) step is to provide a API to manipulate the symbol
tree.

Are you using/planning to use tagmanager to make the symbol browser or
plain ctags (or custom parser) ? If the former, then:

1) We can work together on this.
2) You can finish doing it and then I can backport it to tagmanager.
3) (If you're not far ahead already) I can do the (non-GUI) stuff and
release 0.5 and you can use the API directly (and do the GUI part in the
meantime). We can fix the basic structures without too much problems
IMO, so that the work can be parallelized.
4) (If you're not using tagmanager) We can do it independently.

What do you say ? I'm keen on (3).

Regards.
Biswa.