libida

--- a small whoami ---

I'm working on integrated suite for school programming
studies for last 2.5 years. I work for a software
company (here in moscow). First versions was unusable
but exciting, the version I'm now in is 3rd. My boss
wants to see all the underlying technologies [almost]
ready for production-state, and when it happens, we'll
create lots of dialogs, lessons, help on Pascal, home
on the web, and so on. My second version is stuck
somewhere in alpha-stage. It is almost usable, one can
even try to create lessons with it. It lacks
technologies a little, and it is _proprietary_
software, that built on do-everything basis (its own
compiler that I wrote, so on).

My boss thinks we can sell only Windows version. He
doesn't care about Unices version, so if it helps
development (as I said him:) let it be open. So, 3rd
version is open.

I'd love to feed open-source IDE projects with relevant
components (designed after I've gone through all this),
just because I like GNOME, and all this stuff. That's
why I'm here.

What I want:
1. I want help with organizing interested
people around our project, letting them at least know
about its existence. I'm newbie in CVS, unix tools and
open source in general.
2. Libraries I can borrow (currently I use glib, gtk,
libiconv, and [want to use] python)

What I don't want:
1. Any GPL'ed code (I like GPL, but
it is for applications. Library under GPL is frowned
upon. Sooner or later, someone will have to rewrite it.
It does not promote software sharing, because many
people can't use it for their programs. It doesn't save
from duplicating already written software, and thus
does no favor to the community. Answer is LGPL, that
keeps code open and no one needs to reimplement due to
license issues. (I saw GDF GPL'ed))
2. Any GNOME-dependent code (as I said before, I like
gnome), because it is not portable. I just can't use it.

--- /whoami ---

Last few days as I browse through code of anjuta,
gnome-debug and gIDE, I've found Very Good coding
style, and the worst I ever seen! Former is gIDE,
latter is anjuta's editor, scintilla. Just how can you
stand such a code? :-)

And I found references on GAL, GDL, GBF ... what's
that?..

OK, my plans:
1. Work on libida, try to make anjuta to use it,
try to contact people who wrote GDF (Dave Camp?)

to use it.
2. Create widgets for Watches and DebugInfo, add
to anjuta.
3. Improve my editor (pretty nice and native
GTK-based) or borrow some.
4. Write code that glues all components
together (python?)

I've posted current sources of libida (without any
modules, framework-only), at
http://quif.pisem.net/libida.tar.gz

I'm receiving feature requests until monday.

On 08 Nov 2001 12:05:54 +05, kh_naba yahoo com wrote:
> You might as well look into gnome-debug module in the
> cvs. It's a very<BR> good and plugable debugger,
> although it's still under development.

I've got this sources, but not from cvs, from
gnome/sources/unstable. OK, I'll try to...

And... I don't know... I thing I've got
misunderstanding here (because of broken english?:).
I said I'm writing not a debugger, but
language abstraction layer. GDF and IDA have
the same amount in common as anjuta and IDA:
code for interaction with gdb. And AFAIK there's
comment showing they want better solution for
this -- so, I'm doing the Right Thing.

And I think I competent here, because I
wrote 1. Compiler, 2. Debugger, 3. IDE,
4. Code for interaction of (1), (2) and (3).
First of all, I'm writing the Language
Abstration Layer of My Dream. And
as far as I can see, it fits perfectly
within anjuta and as GDF lower layer.