Re: Building and running gIDE

Thanks everyone who helped me get gIDE running.  I intend to document my
steps and put them on a web page with commentary.  I think people coming from
the Win32 world to Bonobo/OAF will find it interesting.

Searching the web I found tons of stuff about how to program with Bonobo but
very little about how to sysadmin OAF.

In the Windows world shared libraries (DLLs) are found searching per-user
$PATH settings, but Linux uses a system-wide configuration file,
/etc/ld.so.conf, for security reasons (setuid programs that use libraries.)

Conversely, Windows has a single system-wide registry for COM components.
The components are individually registered by absolute pathname.  Bonobo
components are found searching the per-user $OAF_INFO_PATH.
(Bonobo-available images live in the file system and are found the same way.)

My brain resisted the inversion.

-Ed