Re: [Gnome-devtools] Language Analysis Framework

Mark <jamess1 wwnet com> writes:

> Those are the main issues, overall I think I have a pretty good grasp of
> the framework. The data structures and interfaces I've designed are a
> bit sketchy though. It is hard to figure out in advance how the
> components will interact, what data is required, and the proper
> interface for the components.

I have a few questions about the best way to integrate this with the
rest of the gnome devtools.  The component-based design of our
environment will create some problems the harmonia people did not have
to deal with.

First of all, the language analysis will need to get data from
different components, most likely through corba.  As I understand it,
a lot of communication must happen to keep the structure
representation up-to-date with the editor.  We will need to figure out
how this will be done.

The second problem is that many different components will need access
to the information generated from the analysis of the documents.
Class browsers, editors, etc. will all need to access and modify the
data stored in the structural representation.  I see two options: 1)
having each client maintain their own representation, and 2) having a
single server which stores the structural representation and provides
access to clients.

The first solution will require that we keep every client in sync with
each other, and could mean basically repeating the same work for each
component a few different times.

The second solution is also difficult.  Exporting complex data
structures through corba is a huge pain in the ass, and isn't
particularly efficient.  The only way this could really be done would
be to create a shared memory area for the structural representation, and
use corba for smaller things like notification.

Any thoughts?

-dave