Re: Gnome and scan UI.

[Resent to the whole list]

Hello,

Thank you for your interest.

To say about design it's probably better to
have an app then a library since I don't see much reusable points in
scan functionality.
GnomePrint ship a cool dialog widget to launch a printing job. We should have a dialog widget acquiring at least picture (especially photos). We should even ship a dialog to import multipage document into one text with gocr. This is a pretty good feature for Abiword.

Of course, application can be modular enough and
contain internal libraries. It's just interesting to know, is it
possible to do the changes in xsane itself or at least reuse some xsane
code?
I have source of xsane to see an implementation of a sane frontend but the code is not commented enough, this program is intend to be multiplatform and do not use libglade. Nevertheless, key features like crop picture before scanning and other such as fax and e-mailing can easyly be imported.

We should start simple. A tiny application with good code hierarchy will be a first step toward a shared library. Just think to what mead GTK : The Gimp ToolKit :)

Of course, you might also consider using different language then
C, that will make development much faster.
I never heard about libsane binding in other language than C. I wanna learn glib programming, gobject and gtype manipulation etc. writing this library in C is the promess to have a easy portable and "bindable" library. I like C programming :)

And, if you have some questions about GNOME programming, feel free to
ask here or on gnome-love list.
I will remember :)

For the conception aspect. I'm currently playing with libsane, libglade and try to plan what is the basis of scan frontend. Maybe discussions with Oliver Rauch (the great xsane developer) will help. At the present, I wonder what is the infrastructure that allow development of library such as libgnomeprint and so on. Wiki ? ML ? IRC ? Jabber ? Single developer in each corner ? Don't know. "Welcome to the open source world !" :)

Thanks.